Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Glimpses of Archon 42

Halloween? No, just an active costuming contingent!


I enjoyed my return to Archon, a St. Louis-area convention I'd often attended when it was scheduled in the summer (I know: back in ancient days!). In more recent decades, this convention has become a major event for restaurants and hotels near the Gateway Center in Collinsville, IL. The one I'm writing about here was held October 12-14, 2018.

I enjoyed the costumes--but what I managed to catch in photos are a far cry from their full extent. For a better glimpse of what tends to wander the halls of Archon, there's a great photo lineup from #41, by Thomas Crone in St. Louis Magazine online, and the Masquerade has a Facebook page you also may enjoy. Here's another rather comprehensive look at the convention you also may enjoy.



One thing about Archon at the Gateway Center: you walk a lot. Even the main convention hotel, the Doubletree, isn't attached to the Gateway Center, so you're walking wherever you stay (we stayed at the just-as-nearby Fairfield Inn, which was sung and well-kept). The other thing about the Doubletree is that it books up each year in a flash. It wasn't the best of weather for trekking though the landscape, this year. I was glad I'd brought my trench coat.

Of course, I always want to display my artwork at conventions I attend. Here's my Archon 42 Art Show display.



I also love to be on, and also attend, panels. I have photos from several enjoyable ones, below. This year, I also have put a particular emphasis on my readings, as a way to both learn what other authors are writing, and to give people an advance glimpse of my to-be-released-this-winter science fiction novel What's Bred in the Bone.



The programming staff mostly put me on Art Track panels, rather than the writing ones I've become used to lately, so I had a chance to do things such as dust off my art teacher skills for Basic Drawing and geek out with Rachael Mayo about art supplies, quality, and when/how you can afford to go with a cheaper option.

Rachael Mayo (seated at left) brought samples of different kinds of both paper and colored pencils (some cheap, some top-grade professional, some in between), for the audience to test at the end of the Saturday panel titled "Crayola is Fine, Right?: Art on a Budget."

One of the first programming items I attended on Friday of the convention was one of their three-person Author Readings, this one featuring, L-R: Donna J.W. Munro, Marella Sands, and Christine Nobbe, who read a science fiction story she often shares with her gifted classes.

The "Diversity in Speculative Fiction" panel on Friday night of the con explored long-overdue changes developing as sf becomes more inclusive. L-R Participants: Jennifer Stolzer, Kathleen Kayembe, Camille Faye, and Debbie Manber Kupfer, who moderated.

The Sunday afternoon "Alternate Paths to Publishing" panel had such an engaged audience that we overshot our scheduled stop-time, and missed Closing Ceremonies. L-R, George Sirois ("SEAR-oy") moderated; Brad R. Cook, Camille Faye, and Debbie Manber Kupfer added a variety of thoughts and reflections on their experiences.

Archon 43 will be held in Collinsville again next year, Oct. 4-6, 2019. But don't expect to book a room in the Doubletree. It's already full up.

IMAGES: All of the photos in this post were taken by me, Jan S. Gephardt, at Archon 42, between October 12-14, 2018. You may freely re-post or reblog them, but in all fairness please include an attribution to me, and a link back to this post. The cover art for What's Bred in the Bone is a color comp by Jody A. Lee; she promises the finished art is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment