Thursday, October 11, 2018

Aiming for Archon 42

Ty and I are about to go on the road again. This time we're headed across Missouri to our final sf convention of 2018, Archon 42 in Collinsville, IL. After this the holidays start, and so does the "iffy" weather.



It's been a long time since we've been to Archon. For many years there were scheduling conflicts, but those problems are behind us now. I'm looking forward to heading back.

I'll be busy, that's for sure. I'm on four panels (moderating three), plus I have a reading, and that's not counting the artwork I'll have on display. Here's my schedule:

Friday October 12
4:00-5:00 p.m. (Gateway-Cahokian) – Paying your Bills with Exposure 
Everyone knows you can't pay for groceries or gas with exposure - but why do so many people think it's acceptable to ask artists to work for free?  What's the best way to respond to such requests?
7:30-approx. 9:30 p.m. (Art Show) – Art Reception
I have a full panel of paper sculpture to display.

The display has changed a little since Westercon 71/MALCon 6 in July, but most of the work shown here will be on display at Archon 42.

Saturday October 13
1:00-2:00 p.m. (Gateway-Cahokian) – Crayola is Fine, Right?: Art on a Budget
How can you create your art without breaking the bank?  What's okay to skimp on? What’s worth paying more?
3:00-4:00 p.m. (Gateway-Cahokian) – Sharpen Your Skills: Basic Drawing
Designed for new artists looking to improve their drawing skills. Pick up my annotated list of resources, or email me for a copy!

Sunday October 14
11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (Gateway-Illini A) – What is Your Preferred Type of Con?
Cons come in all types and sizes: huge & media-driven? Small and intimate? Focused on one subject or many?
12:00-1:00 p.m. (Gateway-Illini A) – Author Reading with Meg Elison, Jan Gephardt, and Lettie Prell.
Enjoy a sampler of short readings by three contemporary sf writers. I bet you can guess what book I'm reading from!

Here's my postcard for Archon 42, promoting the reading on Sunday and urging people to.sign up for my newsletter, for updates on the publication schedule.
IMAGES: Many thanks to the Collinsville, IL Chamber of Commerce, for the "white" Archon 42 logo. The other two images are by me, and may be used for reblogging or reposting, as long as you include an attribution for the work and a link back to this post. Thanks!c

No comments:

Post a Comment