Friday, October 19, 2018

What GM predicted in 1956 for futuristic cars of 1976

The Artdog Image of Interest 

In my research of videos about past views of the future, I wasn't surprised to find that futuristic cars formed a favorite category. The one I'll share today doesn't feature any flying cars, but I still think you may enjoy seeing what General Motors did (and did not) predict. It also represents a category of "musical production long-form commercial videos" from the period, of a sort we don't see much, today.



As ever, the assumptions about gender roles, and the extreme "whiteness" of all people in the video, speak volumes about the culture of the time.

My Images of Interest in October are videos, all of them drawn from a panel discussion, "Yesterday's Tomorrow," moderated by Kathryn Sullivan, in which I participated at FenCon XV. I shared these videos with the audience, and they generated enough interest that I thought my blog-readers might like them too!

VIDEO: many thanks to YouTube and CBS Sunday Morning for this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment