Monday, June 24, 2019

Is your school safe for all students?

The Artdog Quote(s) of the Week

This has been a very "full" month, but the teacher in me just couldn't let Pride Month pass without at least one post! Also, I did an analysis recently, and realized I haven't been writing about this topic nearly often enough! So I'm brushing off my "teacher hat" to ask: is your school safe for ALL students?



No, gun violence, frightening as it is, isn't my "safe schools" topic for today. That's because it's not the only--or at all the most prevalent--life-threatening hazard lurking in today's schools. Yes, life-threatening. Have you seen the suicide numbers? 

Even when they aren't killing themselves in despair, LGBTQIA+ Youth too often face a drumbeat of hatred, denigration and even outright violence every day, in school, at home, or on the street. That'll wear a person down real fast. Especially when they're still just beginning to figure out who they are.


An ongoing battle

Creating safe spaces for these kids is an ongoing and age-old battle. My art teacher mother fought to protect her LGBT students back when I was a kid. I did all I could to make my classrooms safe zones. But as long as there's ignorance, intolerance, and hatred being taught, teachers who are allies are the first, and absolutely critical, line of defense.



I hate to admit that not all educators feel this way. Not all classrooms are safe. very few schools are safe. All too few bathrooms are safe, for pity's sake! Couldn't they at least relax in the bathroom?? But no. Between the bigots, the fearmongers, and the misguided, bathrooms are certainly not safe.



I long for a time when every student, regardless of gender identity, can receive this message (I love that it's inside a color wheel, one of the art teacher's most important tools). I'm not alone in wanting this kind of respect for all students. But the other allies and I need a lot more company to make this message completely ring true.

IMAGE CREDITS: Many thanks to Instazu and #transgenderpride's Instagram feed for the Explanation-of-Gay-Pride image (totally nailed it); to GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network) via Autostraddle, for the infographic image on verbal and psychological harassment in schools; to NCTE, the National Council of Teachers of English, for the quote from their advisory committee; and to TeachersPayTeachers, for the classroom poster design offering words of hope and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment