Thursday, December 1, 2016

"Coming Through!" multiple-original paper sculpture joins my Etsy lineup

I thought you might like to know I have a new limited edition multiple original listed in my Etsy shop.

I've listed two Artist's Proofs of the image Coming Through!, which features an assertive unicorn powering through a patch of day lilies.



These particular Artist's Proofs represent a very short run of two. The variations are lighter-yellow lilies than I've decided to offer in the eventual edition of 25, and a "floating" oval that is cut out and elevated above the backing.

I originally created the Coming Through! image in 2012, but I've been playing with variations on it ever since. In all its variations, it has been well-received at the science fiction conventions where it has been exhibited, but I'm hoping the Etsy listing will gain me a larger audience. Why not offer something in time for Christmas, right? (If I can get things matted, I hope to offer more soon).

Here's a look at some of the pieces I must cut out and sculpt, to create a Coming Through!

As with any of my multiple originals, each of these pieces is unique. Even when working from a digital output, the cutting, sculpting and assembly process requires individual, hands-on work. No two are exactly alike, although I do try to create a consistent edition once I find a combination that works for me.

The proofing process is the way I find that combination. These two proofs ended up not being practical for an entire edition, but I hope their unique qualities also will appeal to art-fanciers.

I score the back of each piece, then turn it over and work the front, each time I create a piece of paper sculpture.
I was an undergraduate art major with a Printmaking emphasis, so creating these multiple originals is second-nature for me. I spent a good part of my young adult life as a graphic designer (when I wasn't being an art teacher, a mom, or a writer), and I still use the Creative Suite to manipulate my images digitally.

If you count the 2011 Mail Piece Project's five multi-dimensional artworks as my first three-dimensional multiple originals (as I do--click on the links for glimpses of the New Year's, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter Mail Pieces--dang, I didn't document that series as well as I thought I had!), then Coming Through! is my seventh foray into multiple original imagery. The sixth (or first, if you count stand-alone pieces that aren't part of a series) was Common Cliff Dragon--Male, which I'll list on Etsy and feature here once I've gotten mats and spacers cut.

IMAGES: All images are photos taken by me, of pieces of my own artwork. You're welcome to download and re-blog them, but please include a link back and an attribution. Many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment