Sunday, September 29, 2019

Rosh Hashanah greetings

This post should go live a little before sunset in Kansas City on September 29, 2019, which is the beginning of this year's Rosh Hashanah celebration, and the start of the year 5780. I'm happy to extend Rosh Hashanah greetings to my Jewish friends!

Shana Tovah! Have a good year!

As I understand it, Rosh Hashanah goes for two days, which means this year it will last until sunset on October 1. Shanah Tovah (or Shana Tova, as Tatiana Sidenko's calligraphic treatment above renders it), means "Have a good year!" This is the first of the High Holy Days, or Days of Awe (what a great name!), in the Jewish liturgical calendar.

I found a YouTube video from Inside Edition, which I thought offered a heartwarming introduction to the holiday. I hope you enjoy it, too (it's about 3 minutes long).



May you have honey-dipped apples (if you're not allergic), enjoy the warmth of family and community, and be written into the Book of Life for another year! And I hope you've enjoyed my Rosh Hashanah greetings.

IMAGE CREDITS: I owe thanks to Tatiana Sidenko via 123RF for the "Shana Tova" calligraphy, and to "tomertu," also via 123RF, for the photograph of the assembled Rosh Hashanah symbols of flowers, apples, honey, and shofars. I also appreciate Inside Edition's "Inside Edition Explains" video on YouTube, about the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment