Saturday, September 28, 2019

Friday Readings at FenCon XVI

I really love going to readings at science fiction conventions. There's always a new story, something interesting, and a chance to talk with the authors one-on-one. As I did at SoonerCon in June, I went to lots of readings at FenCon XVI, and I discovered some real delights.

I caught four Friday readings at FenCon XVI. All were delightful, but I was having a terrible time with my access to Facebook and Twitter, and in the process I lost some of the specifics about the selections being read. I was able to recover most of it, however. Enough to share with you here.

Rhonda Eudaly
You probably won't be surprised, after recent posts, that I made a point of being there to hear Rhonda Eudaly's reading. As I'd hoped, she read her short story "Peri Potter and the Sorcerer's Bowl," which is quite entertaining (did you read it from its link in Monday's post? If not, here it is again.) The story hasn't been published elsewhere, as far as I know.

Rhonda Eudaly reads "Peri Potter and the Sorcerer's Bowl" on Friday at FenCon XVI. I regret that I lost my note on which photo Rhonda preferred, but this is the one I thought most aptly captured her dramatic reading of the story. 

Monalisa Foster
After Rhonda's reading, I stayed. I didn't know who Monalisa Foster was, but I was primed to hear another story, and I'm glad I stayed.

Monalisa Foster reads from her story "Catching the Dark" on Friday at FenCon XVI. It's a gripping alternate history about the intrepid Russian "Night Witches" of World War II.

She read "Catching the Dark," a fascinating alternate history that involved the amazing Russian "Night Witches," a daring group of women so feared by the Nazis that anyone who downed one of their biplanes was automatically awarded an Iron Cross. The story has been anthologized in Slip the Surly Bonds, edited by Chris Kennedy and James Young, and released earlier this month.

If the rest of the anthology is as interesting as Monalisa's story, it belongs in the library of anyone who loves alternate history. For a fairly comprehensive list of this interesting author's work, visit her website and her Amazon page.

Kimm Antell
The next author to arrive, Kimm Antell, discovered long ago that "Brownies are my thing," that is, her favorite "monster" to write about. They weren't really all that monstrous in her story "Brownout," but they were true-to-form in many ways. These particular brownies inhabit the cubicles of computer programmers. Assorted hilarity and life-change events ensue, after Cedric, the kind-hearted but shy protagonist discovers them.

Kim Antell read "Brownout," a really delightful, funny-but-affirming story about brownies who inhabit an office where programmers sit in their cubicles and write code all day.

I try to remember to ask permission to photograph, write about her, tweet, and utilize Facebook, and I was particularly glad I asked before I started taking photos of Kimm. She told me she didn't normally allow anyone to photograph her, but she felt comfortable enough, because I asked, to allow me the liberty. I deeply appreciate her permission, because it allows me to share my discovery of another wonderful talent.

Julie Czerneda
Turns out  Julie Czerneda, one of FenCon XVI's headliner guests, is an accomplished dramatic reader. She's as fun to watch as she is to listen to, and no one photo of her in action will suffice, so I offer a "gallery" of them.

The peripatetic Julie Czerneda reads excerpts from several projects during her Friday reading at FenCon XVI.

You'll note she's not reading only from one book in these photos, either. She offered up intriguing glimpses from several different projects. As you'd expect, she did read from her latest release, The Gossamer Mage. But she also shared excerpts of other projects, including A Thousand Words for Stranger.

All in all the Friday readings at FenCon XVI were funny, gripping, dramatic, and altogether a delightful way to spend a large part of my afternoon.

IMAGE CREDITS: All photos are by me, Jan S. Gephardt, taken 9/20/2019 in Irving, TX. Please feel free to reblog or share them, but please always with an attribution and a link back to this page, their original source.

No comments:

Post a Comment