Friday, July 6, 2018

Busy and useful

The Artdog Image of Interest

I have examples of all my current artworks on my Westercon 71/MALCon 6 Art Show Panel.

This time I have all the artwork!

Well, all my current artwork that's finished, that is. Today's Image probably looks a lot like several earlier Images of Interest you've seen on this blog through the early summer: my Art Show panel at yet another sf convention.

I'm at Westercon 71 this week, hosted by Myths and Legends Convention, a Shiny Garden event. It's in Denver, in a pretty cool hotel, the Hyatt Regency in the Denver Tech Center.

This has been an unusual convention for me so far, most notably because a communications glitch has resulted in my not being a panelist. This Concom got the same head shot, bio, and introductory letter that's set me up with programming duties elsewhere (including Worldcon 76 in San Jose, CA, my next convention).

But there was a typo in the email address on my part, an unforeseen and unrelated complication for the Concom, and ultimately--no panels for Jan. Now, I know I probably could have pressed the issue and ended up with a panel or two. But there's nothing that screams "insecure wannabe" quite so loudly to a convention committee as someone not chosen for programming, who then whines and moans and complains about it until the Programming Chair finally puts him or her on something, just to shut the obnoxious loudmouth up, already.

I can't honestly claim that I never whine (if I tried, I know folks who would shoot me down in a New York minute, so I won't go there!), but I do try not to be obnoxious. 

So instead, I've been volunteering this weekend--most particularly in the Art Show. No sf convention on the planet ever had enough volunteers, so that was the logical choice. I wanted to stay busy and do something useful. I know art shows (God knows I should, by now), so I knew to expect that Art Show Director Bruce Miller would need extra hands on the morning the art show panels went up. My back hurts as I write this, but I did stay busy, and it appears I made myself useful, too.

Honestly, is there a better thing we can do with ourselves?

IMAGE: The photo was taken by me (Jan S. Gephardt) of my own artwork on my Westercon 71/MALCon 6 Art Show panel. Please feel free to share or re-post it, but if you do please include an attribution and a link back to this post. Many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment