Friday, July 20, 2018

An award-winning experiment finds a home

The Artdog Image of Interest


One of the nicest things that happened for me while I was at Westercon/MALCon (Myths and Legends Convention) in Denver earlier this month was receiving a blue ribbon in the 3D category at the Art Show. I feel very honored, because there was a lot of wonderful 3D artwork in this show.

The honored piece was a special, one-of-a-kind Artist's Proof (abbreviated AP) of the Common Cliff Dragon--Male collection of multiple originals. I called it the "spiny ridge" AP because in a fit of madness I experimented with cutting out each individual scale on the ridge along the dragon's back, then sculpting them to stand up slightly.


I took the second photo in December 2016 before I matted the piece. I have to admit it looked pretty cool, but it was a delicate operation, it took a long time, and when I'd finished I swore I'd never do that again. Granted, one should "never say 'never,'" but now I'm officially on record that it was a one-of-a-kind experiment.

A one-of-a-kind experiment that was awarded this wonderful honor, and one which also has now been "rehomed" with a new owner. The owner got some prize-winning new art, but I was the one who got to keep the ribbon!

IMAGES: Both photographs were taken by me, Jan S. Gephardt, of my own artwork. If you wish to re-post or reblog either of them you may, as long as you include an attribution to me and a link back to this post. Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment