Friday, January 26, 2018

Remembering Jake

The Artdog Image(s) of Interest
I'll write the planned post about another endangered beauty spot a different time. Today I simply want to remember a beloved friend. My dog Jake has gone on ahead of me, as dogs too often do, taking a journey I'm not yet ready to take.

Jake in the back yard with me, in October 2016--Photo by Signy Gephardt

Jake was my writing companion, the co-inspirer of certain dragon body-shapes in my artwork, and my exercise buddy who made sure I took walks as often as possible--at least until his lungs gave out.

He was a rescue dog, an Italian greyhound-whippet mix (thus, a "whiggie") who came into my life around the turn of the decade. He died this week of lung cancer, at the age of almost eleven.

He will be sorely missed.

Mine's missing someone at the moment, alas.


IMAGES: Many thanks to my daughter Signy for capturing a moment between Jake and me in 2016, and to Defining Wonderland's post "Adventures in Dog Watching," for the Roger Caras quote. The source they cite for the quote image is no longer there.

1 comment: