Friday, November 24, 2017

For Companion Animals

Day Six: Gratitude for Companion Animals

When placed up there next to some of the other massive issues (yesterday I was talking about global food security, for example), the blessing of having a companion animal in one's home at first doesn't seem to be in exactly the same league.

But human-animal bonds are ancient and strong. I have argued on this blog in the past that the history and development of humans would have been considerably different without domesticated animals--especially dogs (dogs are my ultimate favorite animals, so I admit I'm sorely biased).

It's a really incomplete picture to leave out cats, horses/donkeys/mules, cattle/oxen/water buffaloes, sheep, goats, swine, chickens and other poultry, rabbits, guinea pigs, camels, and llamas, though. Indeed, without mice, rats, and other animals, our medical history also would have progressed much differently.


But this post is particularly concerned with companion animals--the very dearest pets, the ones we invite into our homes, and often consider to be members of the family. Readers of this series with exceptionally good memories will recall from the latter paragraphs of Monday's post that I do consider ours to be family members.

We have several decades' worth of studies that affirm their value, at this point, though the unenlightened in Western society still all too often insist "it's just an animal." Poor things: they simply have no idea.


I can personally attest to the importance of companion animals for meeting people and staving off loneliness (yes, that's me in the photo above, with my current dog Jake). The very best way to meet people in our neighborhood is to take the dog out for a walk.

As to staving off loneliness? My dearly-loved Chihuahua-MinPin mix (who stayed right beside me through three successive bouts of pneumonia one horrible winter, and who still is featured in my Facebook profile pic) died the Christmas before both of my kids moved away to college and took all the other resident animals with them. With my Beloved working extremely long hours, if I hadn't gotten my little Iggy-girl Brenna that following November I think I'd have gone into an even deeper depression from sheer loneliness.

My daughter spent more than a year, living mostly--except for her animals--alone in California, doing hard, undervalued work as a caregiver to an elderly relative. She did make friends, but her animals helped keep her sane. They still do, even as she faces new challenges.


I also can attest to the beneficial effects of companion animals on children. In my family's case, two Border Collies and a Bernese Mountain Dog-shepherd mix helped my Beloved and me rear our kids, assisted by several cats and an assortment of gerbils and hooded rats (at our church, my daughter became known as the "gerbil-whisperer" for good reason!).

It is perhaps needless to say that I believe that the initiatives to use therapy animals for everything from the "reading dogs" who help beginning readers strengthen their skills to the "comfort animals" who visit hospitals and hospices, disaster sites, and nursing homes are well-advised to tap into the almost-magical connection humans have with companion animals.


I'm a strong believer in the value of the human-animal bond. As our society splinters into ever-smaller family units and as people "cocoon" in their homes more and more (the telecommuting fad seems to have peaked, but internet sales still continue to gain on actual face-to-face shopping in brick-and-mortar retail stores), humans' essential, social-animal nature hasn't changed. It's healthier to connect with an animal than with nothing and no one at all. I could argue that our animals are one of the last things keeping us connected to ourselves.

The health benefits of companion-animal ownership--both mental and physical health--are well-documented and hard to dispute. The soul-benefits are harder to define, but no less important.


IMAGES: The "Seven Days of Gratitude" design is my own creation, for well or ill. If for some reason You'd like to use it, please feel free to do so, but I request attribution and a link back to this post. Likewise, the three quotes from Allan M. Beck and Marshall Meyers all were extracted from an article by "Anna" on Ethical Pets The Blog, but the photos are variously by my daughter and me, of ourselves and some of the dogs in our lives. I did the design work for all three of those quote-images. Feel free to re-post them, but please include an attribution and a link back to this post. Thanks! The Jane Goodall quote image is from the Eco Watch site, from a post by "True Activist" last April. The Anatole France quote image is from One Green Planet (featuring a photo by Wendy Piersall), via Pinterest. Many thanks to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment